Orvieto TR

The Albornoz Fortress in Piazza Cahen, situated close to the moat, built by Cardinal Angelico Grimoard in the 14th century.H

The long, tree-lined avenue of Viale Francesco Crispi

The command block of the former Piave barracks in Piazza Cahen

A sculpture of an eagle at the entrance to the command block of the former Piave barracks in Piazza Cahen

An old building in the historic centre on Via Arnolfo di Cambio

The façade of the Church of San Domenico in Piazza XXIX Marzo, built in 1233

The painting of the Madonna in the pointed-arch lunette above the entrance portal of the church of San Domenico in Piazza XXIX Marzo

The single-nave interior of the Church of San Domenico in Piazza XXIX Marzo

Detail of Cardinal De Braye’s mausoleum, by the sculptor Arnolfo di Cambio (1282), in the Church of San Domenico

The “Monte Grappa” barracks in Piazza XXIX Marzo, home to the Guardia di Finanza’s Specialised Training Centre

The votive image of the Virgin Mary on the façade of an old building in Via del Popolo

Archway connecting two buildings on Via Vivaria

A building in the historic centre on Via del Popolo

The bell tower of the Palazzo del Capitano and, to the left, the bell tower of the Church of San Bernardo in Piazza del Popolo

The Torre del Moro on Corso Cavour, 47 metres high and built in 1200

On the right, a number of coats of arms on the façade of the Torre del Moro, and on the left, the Palazzo dei Sette on Corso Cavour

The Torre del Papa, later known as Moro on Corso Cavour, a name believed to have been given by Raffaele di Sante

The clock on the Torre del Moro, dating from 1875, on Corso Cavour

Piazza Filippo Antonio Gualterio and Palazzo Gualterio, built by Antonio Sangallo in the early 16th century

Old buildings in the historic centre in Largo Luigi Barzini

A shop selling medieval items and a suit of armour in Via dei Magoni

The Cecconi pottery shop in Via del Duomo

A few small tourist shops and the Canonici houses in Piazza Duomo

Maurizio’s Tower, also known as Muriccio, with a clock dating from 1351 in Piazza Duomo

Maurizio’s Clock Tower and Via Duomo (left)

Maurizio’s Tower and the Canons’ houses in Piazza Duomo

The façade of the cathedral as seen from Via Lorenzo Maitani

An ancient historic building with round-arched windows on Via Filippeschi

A building with a pointed-arch entrance on Via Magalotti

Junction between Via Malabranca (right) and Via della Cava

On the left, the palace of Archdeacon Antonio Alberi (late 15th century) on Corso Cavour

An old wooden cart outside a wine shop in Via del Duomo

Palazzo Soliano, also known as Bonifacio VIII, in Piazza Duomo, built in the late 1200s, is now home to the Emilio Greco Museum and the Opera del Duomo Museum

The papal coat of arms of Pope Boniface VIII on the façade of Palazzo Soliano, the museum building in Piazza Duomo

The Duomo, the Cathedral of the Assumption, characterised by its majestic façade designed by Lorenzo Maitani

The cathedral’s large round-arched portal in the square of the same name, framed by spiral columns and small pilasters and surmounted by a spire

The lunette above the main portal of the cathedral, featuring a sculpture of a bronze canopy supported by angels and a marble statue of the Madonna Enthroned

The bronze winged lion, the symbol of St Mark the Evangelist, on the façade of the cathedral

The south side façade of the cathedral, clad in two-tone marble bands, featuring a statue and projecting chapels

The façade of the Duomo, the Cathedral of the Assumption, built in 1290 under Pope Nicholas IV

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.