Orvieto TR

The Church of Saints Joseph and James of the Barefoot Order in Piazza Ippolito Scalza, designed by Cosimo Poli and built in 1653

On the right is Palazzo Clementini, with the Church of Saints Joseph and James of the Scalzi in Piazza Ippolito Scalza in the background

The façade of the Church of San Francesco, built in 1240, with a gabled roof, in Piazza dei Febei

The pointed arches of the splayed portal of the Church of San Francesco, flanked by spiral columns, in Piazza dei Febei

The chancel, the high altar and the wooden crucifix attributed to Maitani in the church of San Francesco in Piazza dei Febei

The Baroque interior of the single-nave church of San Francesco in Piazza dei Febei

The chapel dedicated to Orvieto’s war dead and a painting of the Madonna and Child in the church of San Francesco

A statue and a painting by Cesare Nebbia in the Church of St Francis, depicting the Creator and the Virgin Mary with St Francis, St Elizabeth of Hungary, St Ursula and St Barbara

The ancient wooden candlestick with its slot for offerings in the church of San Francesco

A building in the historic centre and the Torre del Moro (on the right) in Via dei Cartari

The external portico with round arches of the Church of Sant’Andrea on Corso Cavour

Historically significant buildings in Piazza della Repubblica

The building with the Neo-Palladian façade, designed by Virginio Vespignani, in Piazza della Repubblica

Piazza della Repubblica, the civic heart of the city, and the church of Sant’Andrea with its tower

The church of St Andrew and St Bartholomew, the dodecagonal bell tower and, on the right, part of the Town Hall in Piazza della Repubblica

The interior of the Church of Sant’Andrea, with three naves separated by granite columns

The pulpit of the Church of Sant’Andrea, decorated with Cosmatesque mosaics

A load-bearing pillar of the Church of Sant’Andrea in Piazza della Repubblica

The sculpture of the ‘Deposition of Jesus’ in the Church of St Andrew

The façade of the Church of St Andrew and St Bartholomew and the medieval dodecagonal bell tower in Piazza della Repubblica

The Guelph crests on the dodecagonal bell tower of the Church of Sant’Andrea in Piazza della Repubblica

An ancient medieval building on Via Cavour

The Bracci Funicular in Piazza Cahen, named after its financier, Giuseppe Bracci

The entrance gate to the Albornoz Fortress, now the entrance to the Public Gardens, in Piazza Cahen

Detail of the entrance gate to the Albornoz Fortress in Piazza Cahen

Monument to the 500 fallen soldiers of the Great War in Piazza Cahen, created by Angelo Cocchieri from Orvieto

Detail of the First World War war memorial in Piazza Cahen, unveiled on 25 November 1928 by Vittorio Emanuele III

Monument to the 500 fallen soldiers of the Great War, bearing the inscription ‘From sacrifice come Italy’s new laurels’, in Piazza Cahen

Detail of the monument dedicated to those who fell in the Great War, located in Piazza Cahen

Panoramic view of the hamlet of Orvieto Scalo from Piazza Cahen

A tower of the Albornoz Fortress in Piazza Cahen, founded by Cardinal Albornoz in 1359

Entrance to the Bracci funicular in Piazza Cahen, built in 1888 and designed by Adolfo Cozza

St Patrick’s Well in Piazza Cahen, designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger

Detail of the tuff stone from St Patrick’s Well in Piazza Cahen

St Patrick’s Well in Piazza Cahen, 53.15 m deep and 13 m wide

St Patrick’s Well, illuminated by 70 large windows in Piazza Cahen

One of the 70 large windows that illuminate the staircases of St Patrick’s Well in Piazza Cahen

St Patrick’s Well in Piazza Cahen, construction of which began in 1527 at the behest of Pope Clement VII

St Patrick’s Well, consisting of two separate spiral staircases that never meet

Detail of the gears of the ancient exit gate of St Patrick’s Well

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.