Assisi PG

On the right is Via Frate Elia and on the left is Porta San Francesco

On the right, a bronze sculpture, seen against the light, depicting St Francis on horseback (the pilgrim of peace) and, in the background, the Upper Basilica in the upper square of St Francis

Ancient medieval buildings in the historic centre on Via Fontebella

On the left is the San Francesco restaurant on Via Cardinale Raffaele Merry del Val

A wrought-iron lantern featuring a dragon and an old building on Via Fontebella

The Loggia delle Benedizioni in the Upper Basilica of St Francis at sunset

A wrought-iron dragon holding a lantern in Via Fontebella

The square bell tower of the Basilica of St Francis at dusk

Detail of a medieval house between Piazzetta Garibaldi and Vicolo Frondini

The large lower square of San Francesco, surrounded by a colonnade, at dusk

A wrought-iron dragon’s head in Via Eugenio Brizi

A detail of the grand stone staircase leading to the Upper Basilica in the lower square of San Francesco

The former Post Office building in the Neo-Gothic style in Piazza del Comune, built in 1927 by Silvio Gabrielli and Ruggero Antonelli, now the tourist information office

The south portico, a shelter for pilgrims, and its magnificent colonnade in the lower square of San Francesco, at dusk

The fountain in Piazza del Comune, with the Temple of Minerva and the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo to the left

On the right, the colonnade of the north portico and the Basilica of St Francis in the lower square of St Francis, seen at dusk

The balustrade supporting the second basin of the fountain in Piazza del Comune, designed by Giovanni Martinucci

On the left, the colonnade of the south portico and the Basilica of St Francis at dusk in the lower square of St Francis

The plinth, flanked by small columns, of the travertine fountain built by Giovanni Martinucci in Piazza del Comune

The colonnade of the lower square of San Francesco, a shelter for pilgrims dating from the 15th century, set against a backdrop of historic buildings at dusk

The balustrade and a lion from the travertine fountain by Giovanni Martinucci in Piazza del Comune

The Gothic portal and the Renaissance portico by Francesco di Bartolomeo da Pietrasanta in the lower square of San Francesco

One of the three lions from Giovanni Martinucci’s fountain, with the current tourist office – the former Post Office building – in Piazza del Comune in the background

The colonnaded portico in the lower square of San Francesco, at dusk

Giovanni Martinucci’s fountain in Piazza del Comune, where water flows from the mouths of the three lions

A tree trunk inside the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli

The Fountain of the Three Lions, built by Giovanni Martinucci in 1762 to a design by the architect Valeri, in Piazza del Comune

The small church of St Francis, the Porziuncola, situated within the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, with a façade frescoed by the Nazarene painter Friedrich Overbeck

The Torre del Popolo, built in several stages until its completion in 1305, in Piazza del Comune

A close-up of the portico on the façade of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, seen from below, showing two angels holding a coat of arms in Piazza della Porziuncola

On the left, the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo and the Temple of Minerva in Piazza del Comune

A building next to the Basilica with a large clock featuring Roman numerals in Piazza della Porziuncola

The Corinthian columns of the façade of the ancient Roman temple of Minerva, with the former Post Office building in Piazza del Comune in the background

A marble statue of an angel holding a book in its arms, on the façade of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Piazza della Porziuncola

The Baroque interior of the Church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, which was converted in the 17th century, in Piazza del Comune

The Neo-Renaissance façade of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Piazza della Porziuncola, rebuilt after an earthquake to a design by Cesare Bazzani in 1924

The portico of the Temple of Minerva in Piazza del Comune, with the fluted columns resting on square plinths to the left

The gilded statue of Our Lady of the Angels, the coat of arms featuring the Keys of St Peter and two angels on either side, on the façade of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Piazza della Porziuncola

On the left is the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo and on the right is the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, with its six Corinthian columns, in Piazza del Comune

Two angels and a coat of arms on the portico of the façade of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Piazza della Porziuncola

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.