Assisi PG

A street lamp with a wrought-iron lantern featuring a dragon motif in Via Fontebella

Window with flower boxes in an old building on Via Giuseppe degli Aromatari

Via Giuseppe degli Aromatari, with Palazzo Monte Frumentario – founded in 1633 – in the background

Via Borgo San Pietro, with the bell tower of the Monastery of San Giuseppe in the background

Via Borgo San Pietro and a building covered in ivy

The three-nave stone interior of the Church of St Peter

The two stone lions in front of the main entrance to the church of San Pietro

The façade of the Church of St Peter in the square of the same name, belonging to the Benedictine Order, is characterised by three large rose windows and three portals

St Peter’s Square and the 6.50m-high sculpture ‘Ascension’, donated by the artist Beverly Pepper

An iron sculpture entitled “Ascension”, by the American artist Beverly Pepper, in St Peter’s Square

The Abbey of San Pietro, situated in the square of the same name, is a 13th-century Romanesque-Gothic Benedictine building; to the right is the Museum

Piazzetta Ruggero Bonghi, with the start of Piaggia San Pietro on the left and a mural of the Madonna opposite

Hand-painted ceramic tiles, on display in a shop window, depicting a number of traditional trades, including that of a nurse

The Torre del Popolo, dating from the second half of the 13th century, as seen from Via Portica

The San Nicolò Fountain, dating from 1354, in Via Portica

Via Porta Perlici, a narrow street in the historic centre lined with ancient buildings

Four of the six lion heads that feed the Fountain of San Rufino (1532) in Piazza San Rufino

The Fountain of San Rufino, in the square of the same name, where water flows from six lion’s mouths; it was erected in 1532 by the papal governor Virgilio de Bernardi

Sunflower figures hanging on the door of a little shop in Via Santa Maria delle Rose

Via Santa Maria delle Rose and a shop selling local items and souvenirs

Historic centre, Via San Rufino

On the right, the Hotel Sole and the Hostaria Ceppo della Catena on Corso Mazzini

Detail of a wall made of tuff and stones on Corso Mazzini

The MagnaVino restaurant, housed in a historic building on Via Riccardo Francalancia

Corso Mazzini, with the Hotel dei Priori on the right and the Torre del Popolo in the background

A window of the Palazzo dei Priori and a medieval wrought-iron street lamp in Piazza della Chiesa Nuova

A wrought-iron street lamp in medieval style in Piazza della Chiesa Nuova

On the right, a souvenir shop and the Palazzo dei Priori in Piazza della Chiesa Nuova

Monument to the parents of St Francis in Piazza della Chiesa Nuova, Pietro di Bernardone and Madonna Pica, sculpted by Roberto Ioppolo

The rear and oldest part of the Palazzo dei Priori, now the Town Hall in Piazza della Chiesa Nuova

Monument to Eugenio Brizi, erected by the local council in his memory on 7 March 1897

Via Eugenio Brizi, an Umbrian patriot, and the monument erected in his honour

The ancient medieval walls of the buildings in the historic centre on Via Arnaldo Fortini

Junction between Via Arnaldo Fortini (left) and Via Aluigi (right), with an old building in the centre

Via del Seminario and the building, which currently houses the International Franciscan Centre for Dialogue

On the left is an archway leading into the building, the former Franciscan Theological Seminary and current headquarters of the International Franciscan Centre for Dialogue (CEFID) in Via del Seminario

A mime, dressed as a Franciscan friar, in Via del Seminario

A building on Via del Seminario, formerly the site of the seminary (Collegio Missionario Teologico), designed by Attilio Cangi in 1911

Palazzo Bartocci Fontana, built in 1500 and designed by Giulio Danti in Via San Francesco

The grand Baroque balcony of Palazzo Giacobetti (1600), designed by Giacomo Giorgetti, in Via San Francesco

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.