Turin TO

The façade of the National University Library in Piazza Carlo Alberto, with an Empire-style street lamp to the left

The main floor of Palazzo Carignano, featuring a large balcony in white marble, designed by the architect Camillo Guarino Guarini

Decorative frieze on the upper façade of Palazzo Carignano, bearing the inscription ‘Qui nacque Vittorio Emanvele II’ (‘Here was born Vittorio Emanvele II’), added by Carlo Ceppi in 1884

On the right, the Baroque decoration of a window on the terracotta-brick façade of Palazzo Carignano

The historic Clock Canopy, dating from 1916, in Piazza della Repubblica (Porta Palazzo), bearing the inscription ‘Love differences’ in various languages

On the left is a pavilion and on the right is the Porta Palazzo market in Piazza della Repubblica

The Porta Palazzo market in Piazza della Repubblica, considered the largest open-air market in Europe

The mobile stalls with red awnings at the Porta Palazzo market in Piazza della Repubblica

The medieval Gothic church of San Domenico, which has been restored several times

The giant piercing in an 18th-century building in Piazza Corpus Domini

The façade of the Palazzo Civico in Piazza Palazzo di Città, designed by the architect Francesco Lanfranchi in 1663

On the left is the monument to the ‘Green Count’ (Amadeus VI of Savoy) in Piazza Palazzo di Città, and on the right is the Palazzo Civico, the current town hall

Piazza Palazzo di Città and the monument to the ‘Green Count’ (Amadeus VI of Savoy), victorious after the battle against the Turks, sculpted by Pelagio Palagi in 1847

The single large nave of the Basilica of Corpus Domini, in a Baroque style adapted by Alfieri

The ancient Porta Palatina, dating from the 1st century BC, flanked by columns (right) and trees (left), forms part of the archaeological park designed by Amaro Isola

The Porta Palatina, characterised by two 16-sided side towers, over 30 metres high, and the central tower between them

On the left, the red-brick columns marking the boundary of the Amaro Isola archaeological park on Via XX Settembre

A street lamp in the archaeological park, featuring olive branches and shaped like a sphere

The Public Works Building in Piazza San Giovanni, designed by Giovanni Garbaccio, Passanti and Perona in 1956

Piazza San Giovanni, with the portico of the Palazzo dei Lavori Pubblici on the right

The dome of the Church of San Lorenzo, supported by serlianas and lit by oval windows, as seen from Piazza Castello

The monument to Pollux in Piazza Castello, one of the two statues of the Dioscuri that adorn the gates of the Royal Palace, with the dome of the church of San Lorenzo in the background

The bronze sculpture of Pollux, one of the Dioscuri, on horseback in front of the gates of the Royal Palace, by Pelagio Palagi in the 19th century.

On either side, the two bronze monuments by Pelagio Palagi in Piazza Castello, with the Torre Littoria (designed by the architect Armando Melis) in the background

In the background is the Torre Littoria (designed by the architect Armando Melis), nicknamed ‘an eyesore’ but also ‘Mussolini’s finger’, and to the right is the Regional Council building in Piazza Castello

The central-plan, Baroque-style interior of the Church of San Lorenzo, designed by Guarino Guarini in the 17th century.

The high altar of the Church of San Lorenzo, supported by gilded angels and dating from 1680

The inner shell of the dome of the Church of San Lorenzo, featuring a design of an eight-pointed star

The Holy Stairs in the Church of San Lorenzo, built by Bernardo Vittone in the 17th century

The wooden sculpture at the top of the Holy Stairs in the church of San Lorenzo, depicting the dead Christ at the feet of the Madonna del Tamone (1870)

The façade of the Regional Government Building in Piazza Castello

Two of the four retractable fountains that adorn and embellish Piazza Castello

One of the retractable fountains in Piazza Castello, with the Regional Council building on the left

On the left, the roof windows of the Regional Government Building; on the right, the dome of the Royal Church of San Lorenzo in Piazza Castello

The Roman foundations of Palazzo Madama and the Acaja Fortress

The staircase at Palazzo Madama, designed in the early 1700s by Filippo Juvarra

View of Piazza Castello and Via Giuseppe Garibaldi from a window of Palazzo Madama

Reflections in a large window of Palazzo Madama and the Acaja family’s fortified residence

The ornate balustrade of the grand staircase at Palazzo Madama, designed by Filippo Juvarra

On the right, an ‘Impero’ style street lamp by Guido Chiarelli in Piazza Castello, and on the left, the Torre Littoria, 87 metres high (19 storeys) but reaching 109 metres including the antenna

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.