Palazzo dei Priori and the Fontana Maggiore

Palazzo dei Priori e la Fontana Maggiore
Palazzo dei Priori e la Fontana Maggiore

The Palazzo dei Priori, also known as the Palazzo Comunale in Perugia, built gradually between 1293 and 1443, is a magnificent example of a public building from the communal era, the result of numerous architectural interventions undertaken starting in the 13th century.
The initial construction work began between 1293 and 1297 under the direction of the Perugian architects Giovannello di Benvenuto and Jacopo di Servadio.
Subsequent expansions were carried out between 1317 and 1326 by the Sienese architect Ambrogio Maitani, who modified the entrance by creating a majestic main portal flanked by two triple lancet windows overlooking Corso Vannucci.
Between 1326 and 1331, the Municipality connected the Palazzo, via an overpass, to a tower house purchased from Benvenuto di Cola dei Servitori, where the bell tower was later erected. Between 1429 and 1443, the Cappella dei Priori was built, extending the Palazzo and the Collegio del Cambio to the south.
The current façade facing Piazza IV Novembre features a fan-shaped staircase built in 1902, replacing the previous double-flight staircase, which leads to the Sala dei Notari.
From the staircase, one ascends to the large Gothic portal, surmounted by corbels with the lion and griffin (medieval bronze sculptures), symbols of the Guelphs and Perugia. To the right of the staircase are three unequal arches surmounted by a projecting pulpit, once used for reading laws to the people.
Today, the Palazzo dei Priori houses the Town Hall and the Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria.

Fontana Maggiore
At the centre of Piazza IV Novembre is the Fontana Maggiore or Fontana di Piazza, designed and sculpted by Giovanni and Nicola Pisano between 1275 and 1278 and with the help of Fra Bevignate da Cingoli who directed the works, it was erected to celebrate the new aqueduct that brought water to the upper part of the city, coming from Mount Pacciano. It consists of two polygonal basins in white and pink marble, surmounted by a bronze bowl (crafted by the Perugian founder Rosso Padellaio) from which rises a bronze group of three Nymphs (or Theological Virtues), from which water flows.
The lower basin is decorated with 50 bas-reliefs separated by a small column, depicting two scenes from Aesop’s Fables, the seven liberal arts, the agricultural calendar, philosophy, historical and mythological episodes, the founding of Rome, scenes from the Old Testament, and the symbols of the Guelph party (the lion), the city (the griffin), and the empire (the eagle). The 12-sided upper basin is decorated with 24 statues, depicting imaginary and real characters, including the mythical Trojan founder Euliste a Sant’Ercolano, the bishop who defended the city against the Goths.

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.