Vigevano PV

The neo-Gothic carriage entrance to the Sforzesco Castle, on Corso della Repubblica, designed by the engineer Inverardi

Bronze statue of Don Ambrogio Ceriotti, by the sculptor Riccardo Secchi, unveiled in 1926

The beautiful marble staircase of the Church of the Madonna di Pompei, overlooking Piazza Volta

The Church of Our Lady of Pompeii in Piazza Volta, built in a transalpine neo-Gothic style, featuring red brickwork and white marble spires

The Church of Our Lady of Pompeii in Piazza Volta, designed by the architect Spirito Maria Chiappetta in 1922

On the left is the Palazzo delle Esposizioni, designed by the architect Eugenio Faludi, and in the centre is the bronze monument to the Shoemaker of Italy, by Giovan Battista Ricci, situated in the square of the same name

The gabled façade of the Church of St Peter the Martyr, in the Lombard Gothic style

The Baroque façade of the church of Santa Maria del Popolo in Via del Popolo, completed in 1717

The long portico in Piazza Ducale, supported by columns of various styles, is home to numerous shops and cafés

The Church of San Dionigi, deconsecrated since 2009, in Piazza Martiri della Liberazione, now home to the auditorium of the Fondazione di Piacenza e Vigevano

On the left is the bronze bust of Cesare Battisti, located on the street of the same name

The buildings with porticoes and arches surrounding Piazza Ducale, designed by the bishop and architect Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz

In the centre is one of the cast-iron street lamps; on the right is the Cathedral of Sant’Ambrogio and on the left is the portico in Piazza Ducale

The frescoed dome of Sant’Ambrogio Cathedral, painted by Gonin in 1857

Wooden statue depicting the Entombment of Christ, a gift from Comm. Federico Zaina in memory of Mons. Carlo Allorio

The Baroque altar in the Chapel of St John the Baptist (1753) in St Ambrose’s Cathedral

The Chapel of St Charles along the right-hand aisle of Sant’Ambrogio Cathedral

The two allegorical figures of the eagle (a symbol of spirituality) and the bull (a symbol of passion), wooden sculptures supporting the pulpit in the Cathedral of Sant’Ambrogio

The chancel of Sant’Ambrogio Cathedral was completely restored in the 19th century

The concave Baroque façade of the Cathedral of Sant’Ambrogio (Vigevano Cathedral), commissioned by Bishop Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz

One of the cast-iron street lamps dating from 1911 that adorn Piazza Ducale, designed by the architect Gaetano Moretti

On the left, the arcades of Piazza Ducale; on the right, the Baroque façade of Sant’Ambrogio Cathedral

Piazza Ducale, built in the Renaissance style at the behest of Ludovico il Moro in 1494, with the Cathedral of Sant’Ambrogio in the background

The paving, made of Serizzo slabs and cobblestones from Piazza Ducale, dates from the mid-19th century.

The neo-Gothic entrance hall, designed by Engineer Inverardi, which overlooks the inner courtyard of the Castello Sforzesco

The Bramante Tower, which also serves as the city’s civic tower, dates back to 1198 and stands 75 metres tall; it is characterised by a Baroque ‘onion-shaped’ dome

On the left is the keep of the Castello Sforzesco and on the right is the bridge with an aerial loggia leading to the falconry

On the right, the main body of the Sforza Castle with its keep, overlooking the inner courtyard, and on the left, the Bramante Tower

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.