Riomaggiore SP

The village’s pebbly beach, seen from above, along the SP32 road

The rocky coastline with sheer cliffs (falesia) overlooking the sea in the Cinque Terre National Park and the Via dell’Amore footpath (below), seen from the SP32 road

A short section of the Via dell’Amore footpath (the CAI’s blue route), which runs along the rocky coastline of the Cinque Terre, seen from the SP32 road

The Mesco promontory and the bay of Monterosso, where the Cinque Terre region ends, as seen from the Via Litoranea in Riomaggiore

On the right, some washing drying in the sun; on the left, the bell tower of the Church of the Confraternity of the Assumption in Via Colombo

The Oratory of the Disciplinati, also known as the Church of the Confraternity of the Assumption, in Via Colombo (La Compagnia district), dating from the 1500s

The chancel of the Church of the Confraternity of the Assumption, with a triptych at its centre depicting the Virgin and Child flanked by Saints Dominic and John, dating from the second half of the 15th century

On the right, the chandelier and the women’s gallery of the Oratory of the Disciplinati; on the left, the tempera triptych of the Madonna and Child

Junction between the main road on the left, Via Colombo, and the Scalinada della Valle on the left

A leafy lay-by on Via Colombo, with a tree fern in the centre

Via Colombo in the old town, with the gazebo of the restaurant “Il Grottino” on the right

The tree-lined avenue of Via Colombo, with a sunflower plant in the foreground

A ‘De Battè’ rag and straw doll, hanging on the door of a house in Via Pecunia

Two colourful buildings with green shutters on Via Pecunia

The parish church of St John the Baptist in Via Pecunia, built by Bishop Antonio Fieschi in 1340, designed by the Antelami family

The façade of the Church of St John the Baptist, rebuilt in 1870 in the Neo-Gothic style, features a large rose window flanked by four statues depicting the Evangelists

The white stone statue of St John the Baptist in Via Pecunia, dating from 1903, situated at the top of the façade of the church of the same name

A white stone crucifix in Via Pecunia, situated at the top of the façade of the Church of St John the Baptist

A white stone sculpture of a flower, situated on the façade of the Church of St John the Baptist in Via Pecunia

A wooden crucifix at the entrance to the central nave of the Church of St John the Baptist

The central nave of the Church of St John the Baptist, divided by large pointed arches, with the pulpit dating from 1530 on the right

The raised chancel of the Church of St John the Baptist, bordered by a marble balustrade

A green pipe organ in the left-hand aisle of the Church of St John the Baptist

A wrought-iron crucifix in Via Pecunia, with the bell tower of the Church of St John the Baptist in the background

Detail of the bell tower of the Church of St John the Baptist with its octagonal dome

In the foreground is a wrought-iron crucifix and the southern side façade of the Church of St John the Baptist in Via Pecunia

The entrance portal on the south side of the church of St John the Baptist, surmounted by a pointed arch

The magnificent view from the terrace on Via Pecunia and a row of violets running along the parapet

The red roof of a building seen from the terrace on Via Pecunia

A few houses and, top right, the Castellazzo di Cerricò

Panoramic view of the village’s colourful houses from the top of Cerricò Hill

Panoramic view of the village, south side, set against the lush green backdrop of Montenero

The Sanctuary of the Madonna di Montenero, nestled amongst the greenery, as seen from the lower part of the village; it dates from between the 11th and 13th centuries but has been altered several times

Junction where Via Pecunia branches off to the right and Via Telemaco Signorini to the left, separated by a blue safety railing

The steps on Via Pecunia, with a small wine press on the right

The long viewing platform on Via Telemaco Signorini overlooking the lower part of the town, with benches and parasols

The steps on Via Pecunia leading up to the upper part of the old town, the Cerricò hill, bordered by a blue railing

The walk down Via Pecunia with a panoramic view from the top of the village

The Castellazzo di Cerricò tower on Colle di Cerricò, a 13th-century fortification

One of the castle’s two squat, circular towers, featuring a white clock, built in 1260 by the Marquises of Turcotti, nobles of Ripalta, and completed in the 15th–16th centuries by the Genoese

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.