Abbey of Montecassino FR

Artillery dating from the Second World War

Remains from the Second World War, including, on the right, two unexploded 500-pound aerial bombs

Weapons from the Second World War, including aerial bombs, submachine guns and rifles

A miniature model of Montecassino, destroyed following the fourth Anglo-American Allied bombing raid (also known as Operation Diadem) in February 1944

Contemporary art exhibition in the San Benedetto Hall, entitled “Ars – Ora et labora”

Sculptures entitled “Art Sows Seeds of Hope” by Salvatore Zacchino, on display in the San Benedetto Hall as part of the artistic and religious event “Ars – Ora et labora”

Detail from the painting by the artist Orazio Iannetta, entitled “Sacro è il lavoro nei giorni di tutti”, on display in the San Benedetto Hall as part of the “Ars – Ora et labora” art event

A sculpture by the artist Mario De Luca, entitled “Mani d’artista” (225×10 cm), on display as part of the “Ars – Ora et labora” art event in the San Benedetto Hall

A sculpture entitled “Pensieri dolorosi” (150×120 cm – 2000), part of a series of sculptures entitled “Human compassion in the snares of existence”, by the artist Mario De Luca, exhibited as part of the “Ars – Ora et labora” event in the San Benedetto Hall

A pictorial sculpture by Giuseppe De Michele entitled “Creation as Rule and Desire” (135x120x218 cm), on display in the San Benedetto Hall as part of the “Ars – Ora et labora” art event

A sculpture entitled “Natural spirituality in every fragment of existence”, by Raffaele D’Aquanno, on display in the San Benedetto Hall as part of the “Ars – Ora et labora” art event

A large travertine sculpture depicting a white eagle (the coat of arms of Poland), situated just above the Polish Military Cemetery

The long, tree-lined avenue of cypresses at the Polish Cemetery, with the Abbey of Montecassino in the background

The two three-metre-tall marble eagles, standing guard at the entrance to the Polish Military Cemetery

The large white eagle, 3 metres tall, standing guard at the entrance to the Polish Military Cemetery, designed by the artist Ciambelottiego

Montecassino Abbey, founded by St Benedict in the 6th century, situated on the summit of the mountain of the same name

The two green-domed spires of the Benedictine monastery of Montecassino, seen from the Polish Cemetery

In the centre, the eternal flame in the Polish Military Cemetery, surrounded by a large travertine cross, with the two winged angels and the abbey in the background

The two eagles with outstretched wings, flanking the entrance to the Polish Military Cemetery, with the majestic abbey in the background

In the foreground is the tomb of General Wladyslaw Anders, followed by the large cross with the eternal flame at its centre, the two eagles, and the abbey in the background

The white travertine crosses arranged in tiers, beneath which lie the remains of 1,052 soldiers from the 11th Polish Army Corps

A Benedictine monastery, situated at an altitude of 519 metres, founded by St Benedict in 529 AD.

The remains of 1,052 soldiers from the 11th Polish Expeditionary Corps in the military cemetery built between 1944 and 1946

The numerous Orthodox crosses that stand above the graves in the Polish War Cemetery, designed by the architects Jerzy Wacław Hryniewicz and Jerzy Skolimowski and built by engineer Tadeusz Muszynski

Panoramic view of the Polish Military Cemetery, where 1,052 soldiers of the 11th Polish Expeditionary Corps are buried, with the Benedictine monastery in the background

In the foreground, the eternal flame surrounded by a large cross bearing the inscription ‘Militari Virtuti’ and the long avenue of cypress trees

Polish Military Cemetery: the travertine crosses marking the graves of Polish soldiers who fell in the war

Polish Military Cemetery: one of the long rows of travertine graves where 1,052 Polish soldiers who fell in the war are buried

A replica of the statue of Saint Scholastica in the Bramante Cloister; the original was destroyed on 15 February 1944, during the Second World War

The statue of Saint Scholastica in the Bramante Cloister, holding a book and a golden dove in her right hand

The staircase of Bramante’s cloister and the portico of the upper cloister

The Renaissance cloister of the Benefattori, with an octagonal well at its centre, a portico with 24 granite columns and the reconstructed façade of the Cathedral Basilica, designed by engineer Giuseppe Breccia Fratadocchi (1952)

The octagonal marble cistern decorated with small columns, in the centre of the Cloister of the Benefactors

On the left is the octagonal cistern and on the right the Renaissance façade of the Basilica in the Cloister of the Benefactors, designed by engineer Giuseppe Breccia Fratadocchi (1952)

The tympanum of the Cathedral Basilica, featuring the coat of arms of Montecassino and its abbots at the centre, and the golden inscription ‘Benedicti numine sancta’ at the bottom, in the Cloister of the Benefactors

The Cloister of the Benefactors, so named after the 18th-century statues of the figures (monarchs and popes) to whom the monks expressed their gratitude for having granted material aid and protection to the monastery

The octagonal cistern at the centre of the Cloister of the Benefactors, surrounded by a four-sided portico, built in 1513 to a design by Antonio da Sangallo

The portico of the Cloister of the Benefactors, with the statue of Lotario Tertio on the left

The marble statue of Lothair III, Holy Roman Emperor, situated in a niche beneath the portico of the Cloister of the Benefactors

The statues of the benefactors who protected and supported the monastery (Henrico Secundo on the right), situated beneath the portico of the benefactors’ cloister

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.