Santa Maria di Leuca LE

The monolithic Roman column donated by Benito Mussolini to mark the completion of the construction of the Apulian Aqueduct

The breakwater jetty where holidaymakers’ boats are moored, seen from the Japigio headland

Monumental cross in Piazza Giovanni XXIII, erected in memory of the diocesan pilgrimage of 21 October 1901

Punta Mèliso, a rocky outcrop jutting out into the Ionian Sea, as seen from Piazza Giovanni XXIII

The 132-metre-long breakwater jutting out towards the south-west and the outer breakwater

The breakwater forming part of the marina at Marina di Leuca

The lighthouse in Via Santuario, designed by engineer Achille Rossi, stands 47 metres tall and has been in operation since 1866

A view of Leuca harbour from the Japigio headland

The whitewashed houses of Marina di Leuca and some boats at sea

The breakwater, bordered by tetrapod breakwaters, and the village harbour

Some tourist boats moored in the marina at Leuca

The tetrapod breakwaters running alongside the long quay that borders the harbour

The Basilica de Finibus Terrae in Piazza Giovanni XXIII (meaning: ‘at the ends of the earth’), built in the first half of the 18th century by Monsignor Giovanni Giannelli

On the left is the monumental cross and on the right the Marian column in Piazza Giovanni XXIII

The single-nave interior of the Basilica of Finibus Terrae or Santa Maria di Leuca

The high altar of the Basilica of Finibus Terrae, with the painting of the Madonna in the centre

The outer fortifications of the Basilica of Finibus Terrae and, on the left, the Marian Column in Piazza Giovanni XXIII

In the centre of Piazza Giovanni XXIII stands the Marian Column, dating from 1694 and designed by Filiberto Aierbo d’Aragona, and the façade of the Basilica de Finibus Terrae

The stone sculpture by Juan Angel Fernàndez Vàzquez in Via Don Luigi Sturzo, created for the 2004 International Symposium on ‘Pietra Leccese’ Sculpture, on the theme ‘Signs and Re-signs’

The Croce Pietrina, set atop a stone column, symbolising St Peter’s passage across the Japigeo promontory

On the left, the Ionian Sea; in the background, the headland where the sanctuary stands, as seen from the SP358 towards Punta Meliso

The Sanctuary of Santa Maria de Finibus Terrae and the lighthouse at Punta Meliso along the SP358

The marina area of Marina di Leuca as seen from Punta Melisio

A house painted white with lime, situated between Via Padova (on the left) and Via Dante Aligheri (on the right)

A villa dating from 1870, owned by the Corvaglia family, in Via Tommaso Fuortes

The façade of the Church of Christ the King in Piazza Redentore, built in 1896 to a design by Pasquale Ruggeri but completed 40 years later

The Church of Christ the King in Piazza Redentore, built in the Romanesque and Gothic styles using carparo stone

The bell tower of the Church of Christ the King in Piazza Redentore, with mullioned windows supported by three small columns

A round-arched window in the bell tower of the Church of Christ the King in Piazza Redentore

Detail of the façade and pronaos of the Church of Christ the King in Piazza Redentore

The large cross made of Leccese carparo stone that towers over the façade of the Church of Christ the King in Piazza Redentore

The central nave of the Church of Christ the King

The high altar and the apse with three stained-glass windows in the Church of Christ the King

A chapel with an image of the Virgin Mary in the Church of Christ the King

The orange ribbed vault and the circular windows of the Church of Christ the King

The central nave with clustered pillars in Carparo stone in the Church of Christ the King

Scrivi un commento ...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.